Donnerstag, 11. Februar 2016

Life

Bus tour through the city
Here are a couple of pictures from a bus tour through the city (organized for all exchange students)


River Neva, just right in the city centre


Monument marking the place of the old harbor


Hermitage Museum (Winter Palace on the right)




St. Isaac's Cathedral


Church of the Savior of Blood


Food in St. Petersburg
Life here is very different to what I am used to. For example the offer of Western products in shops is very limited and in comparison to Russian products quite expensive too. The offer of Russian products is great enough, no doubt, but it is quite hard to find high quality products. Especially the Russian bread is not tasty at all, I tried several shops, but still did not find a good one. But I think that all Austrians have issues concerning bread in other countries than Austria. ;)
But also other products are just not so good here, for example candies. And what about meat? It also is not so tasty. However, fish is good here and the offer is much greater than in Austria!
I have heard many complaints from Russians, that the cheese is not good here. Since the start of the sanctions, there is hardly any European cheese coming across the borders... which is the reason why I live a bit healthier here than at home.

Hint: anyone from Austria who is visiting me, should bring some bread as a present, I'd really appreciate. :D


Life as a student
Since I am doing a double degree program, I am not treated like an exchange student. So I am with the regular students in all the classes. So far I head 3 different courses, which were alright. I especially liked our finance course, since its teacher is very committed and helpful.

Although there will be other courses, my most important subject will be Russian language. Besides receiving a second master degree, this is the main reason for me to study in Russia. Since today I know that we will be divided in very small groups of 4-5 students each. The groups differ in the language skills that are required to do the course. From next week, there will be 4 lessons of Russian language. I really hope that the course will help me to improve my skills.

And what about the parties?! We'll see about that in the future, but I do not think that I want to waste my time here going to bars that much. I honestly prefer to explore the city in detail and its museums as well as its theaters.


The weather ...
... was certainly not in Peter the Great's mind, when he decided to found this city...

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen